How to Play Video on Android Auto: 5 Best Video Players in 2023
Last Updated on Mar 09, 2023
Unlike the old day when we drive from one point to the other without entertainment, now, with advanced technology, entertainment can increase our driving experience and keep us entertained for the whole trip. We can now watch videos on our Android Auto during our daily commute.
You do not have to worry as Android Audio is primarily designed for safe driving, it is equipped with some features that allow you to play videos. However, not all video players are compatible with it. It will be very time-consuming to search for a reliable one. This is why we have compiled the 5 best video players for Android Auto as well as how to play the video on it.
How to Play Locally-stored Videos on Android Auto
Here are the steps to set up your Android Auto and play videos on it:
Step 1: Install AAAD app
First thing first, you will have to install an app called AAAD (or Android Auto Apps Downloader). You can install the latest version of the AAAD APK from here.
Step 2: Download or install any app from the APK
Once you launched the app, you will see a list of app to install and play to your car’s infotainment system. Some of the most popular are Fermata or CarStream. These apps allow you to sync your device’s video to your car.
Step 3: Start playing videos
By now, you should see the video player on your car’s screen. Tap on the video you want to play.
If you’re still confused of how to utilize it, watch this YouTube video below:
5 Best Video Players for Android Auto
When it comes to media players, there are a plethora of options out there, and which can be tough to decide which one is the right fit for you. Here are some of the best of them.
1. Lark Player
Whether you’re a music lover, or simply someone looking for a reliable and versatile media player, Lark Player should be your go-to choice. This is quite a newly established media player, it was launched back in 2018, but within 5 years, has been downloaded by over 100 million users.
Lark Player is a media player app that offers a comprehensive range of features. It can cater to all your media needs, including music, video, and online content streaming. Some of its key features include:
- 100% free without hidden cost
- User-friendly interface. It has a simple interface that you do not need any technical expertise to use it.
- All-in-one media player. It supports an extensive range of both video and audio formats, including MP4, AVI, MP3, MOV, and others.
- Audio and video equalizer. It lets you customize your audio and video settings, e.g. the bass, reverb, treble, etc.
- Online content streaming. It does not only support your local file playing but also supports online content streaming from YouTube, SoundCloud, or TikTok.
Initially called VideoLAN Client, VLC has been in existence since 1996 and was developed as a open-souce media player in 2001. Since then, VLC has evolved into a powerful media player, with millions of active users worldwide. On Google Play Store alone, it has been downloaded by over 100 million users. Not to mention other devices that are compatible with it, such as Windows, macOS, iOS and even some TV platforms.
Benefits and key features of using it covers:
- 100% free without ads
- Supported diverse file formats. It covers almost all popular video and audio files, such as MP3, MP4, MOV, OGG, WMV, FLAC, MKV, AVI, and FLV.
- Support file conversion. It can convert one format to another so that you can play any file with it.
- Customization options. It can customize the interface by changing the skin, color and layout.
- Support a range of extension, for instance, VLC YouTube Video Downloader, VLSub, and VLC Playlist Parser.
- DVD and Blu-ray playback
- Subtitle support
- Streaming and recording support
- Audio effects, including equalizer and compressor.
3. MX Player
First launched in 2011, MX Player is a free media player that has been downloaded by over 1 billion users from Google Play Store alone. It has gained a huge user base because its user-firendly interface and advanced features. Here are some of its notable features:
- Hardware acceleration. It allows the app to decode and play high-quality video and audio files smoothly without any lag or buffering.
- Network streaming. It allows you to stream videos from the internet easily with various streaming protocols like HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP.
- Subtitle support. You can add subtitles to the videos easily as it supports various subtitle formats, including SRT, ASS, and SSA.
- Audio boost. It can enhance the audio quality of videos.
- Background playback. It allows you to play videos in the background while accessing other apps.
- Multiple audio tracks. It allows you to switch between different audio tracks in a video easily.
- Gestures. It allows you to control the playback of videos using gestures, e.g. swipe up and down to control the volume, swipe left and right to seek, and pinch to zoom.
- Kids Lock. It can lock the screen and prevent kids from accessing other apps while watching a video.
KODI was originally developed as XBMC (Xbox Media Center) in 2002, and was initially created for the Xbox game. But later in 2014, it was renamed as Kodi and was developed to be compatible with various platforms, including Mac, Windows, Android, Linux, and iOS.
It is known as an open-source media center software that allows users to organize and stream their multimedia content. Specifically said, here are the key features:
- Media management. It allows you to organize and manage your multimedia content, including movies, TV shows, music, and photos.
- Add-ons. It allows you to customize its functionality, e.g. adding streaming services, news, weather forecasts, and more.
- Live TV. It allows you to watch live TV channels from around the world in real-time.
- Skins. It allows you to customize the look and feel of the app.
- PVR (Personal Video Recorder). It allows you to record while watching the live TV shows.
- Remote Control. It can be controlled remotely using many devices, including smartphones and tablets.
Launched in 2009, Plex is a versatile media player that can stream and organize all your media files on any operating system, including Windows, Mac, Linux, and even NAS devices. This media players is based on two components: the server and the client. The former refers as the organizer that supports streaming media files, while the latter is to play media file on various devices. Moreover, some of its best features include:
- Media organization. It can automatically organize and fetch all your files, including movie posters, TV show covers, and episode descriptions.
- Live TV and DVR. It allows you to connect a TV tuner to your Plex server to watch live TV and record shows.
- Remote access. It allows you to access your media files from anywhere, allowing you to stream your content remotely.
- Mobile sync. It allows you to sync your media files and/or download them to your phone or tablet and watch them offline.
- Plugins. It allows you to install plugins like channels for news, podcasts, and online streaming services.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can. To play videos through Android Auto, you need to connect your phone to a compatible the car infotainment system that supports Android Auto. Once connected, tap on the screen or use voice commands to play the videos you want to play on your car.
There are several video player that can work with Android Audio without root. Some of the most popular video players are VLC, MX Player, and Plex.