5 Best Windows Media Players Alternatives for Android in 2023
Last Updated on Mar 19, 2023
With the increasing demand for entertainment on Android smartphones and tablets, people are seeking for reliable media players to play all their media files on-the-go. Among them, Windows Media Player is one of the most popular applications that people are looking for.
The reason behind this is that not all players can play Windows media files. Even if there are some, not all of them will be able to play it smoothly. For this reason, we have compiled a list of the top 5 Windows Media Player apps for Android. These apps offer a range of features for you to enjoy.
So, without further ado, let’s explore them.
#1. Lark Player
The top Windows Media Player for Android on our list is Lark Player. The software was newly launched in 2018 but has gained a lot of attention. It is a free yet versatile media player that provides an excellent listening and viewing experience, making it a perfect choice for multimedia enthusiasts.
Lark Player’s top features:
- Audio and video playback support like MP3, AAC, FLAC, WMA, AVI, MP4, MKV, etc.
- High-res video and audio to enjoy a clear crisp sound as well as sharp images.
- Playlist management to organize your media content based on genres, albums, artists or your moods.
- Music equalizer settings to adjust the sound quality.
- A variety of presets change the appearance of the app.
- Sleep timer to stop your music after a specific time.
- Floating player to do other tasks while watching videos or listening to music in the background.
- Lyrics-displayed to sing along to your favorite songs.
- Subtitle support to better understand your favorite movies.
Google Play Ratings: 4.5 stars (3.09M reviews)
Originally launched for the Windows operating system, VLC has upgraded its software and is now available for free on any desktop or mobile platform, like Android, iPhone, macOS, and Linux. It is known as an efficient and reliable media player which can play almost all type of media files.
VLC’s top features:
- Multiple audio and video codecs support, e.g. H.264, MPEG-4, AAC, MP3, and others.
- A range of subtitle formats, e.g… SRT, SSA, ASS, and many others.
- Audio and video filters can be used to enhance the quality of playback.
- Playback speed control to control the playback speed of media files.
- Hardware acceleration for smoother video playback.
- Repeat and shuffle mode options to listen to music or watch videos on a loop.
- Streaming from various sources supports, e.g. HTTP, RTSP, and FTP.
- Add-ons support to extend the functionality of the media player.
- Network support to access media files over a local network or the internet.
Google Play Ratings: 4.1 stars (1.77M reviews)
#3. MX Player
Launched by J2 Interactive in 2011, MX Player is one of the most downloaded media players for Android devices. On Google Play Store, it has reached 1 billion times of download numbers, a very fantastic number for a music player. It has received a number of positive reviews regarding its performance which affect the overall user experience.
MX Player’s top features:
- Wide range of video and audio formats support, including popular formats such as MP4, AVI, MKV, FLV, AAC, MP3, etc.
- Hardware acceleration for smoother playback, especially for high-resolution videos.
- Multi-core decoding support to produce faster and smoother playback.
- Gestures for controlling playback like swipe to seek, pinch to zoom, and volume control gestures.
- Audio boost that enhances the audio output of videos.
- Kids lock feature to prevent accidental access to other apps or settings.
- Supports network streaming from various sources, including FTP, SMB, and UPnP.
Google Play Ratings: 4.4 stars (12.1M reviews)
Similar to VLC, KMPlayer was originally developed by a Korean exclusively for Windows devices. However, after it was acquired by Pandora TV in 2008, they upgraded it to be compatible with various devices, including Android devices.
KMPlayer’s top features:
- Versatile file formats support, including popular and less-known formats like AVI, MPEG, WMV, MKV, FLV, OGG, etc.
- High-def video formats support, e.g. 4K, 8K, and HDR.
- Various playback features support, e.g. playback speed adjustment, repeat and shuffle modes, and bookmarks.
- Extensive range of subtitle formats, including SRT, SSA, ASS, and VobSub.
- A sleep timer, which can automatically mute the player after a certain time.
- Support various themes, including dark or another color scheme.
- URL playing support to stream files online.
- Equalizer settings to control the audio output.
Google Play Ratings: 4.3 stars (3.84k reviews)
MediaMonkey was initially released in 2001 under the name “Songs-DB” and was exclusively designed for Windows OS. But three years later, it was rebranded as MediaMonkey by its company Ventis Media, Inc. This media player has just recently been released on the Android app, and yet, has gained a lot of users dues to its excellent features.
MediaMonkey’s top features:
- A wide range of audio formats, including MP3, AAC, OGG, WMA, FLAC, and more.
- Offers gapless playback and crossfade for a seamless listening experience.
- Highly customization options to adjust the layout and color scheme.
- Tag editor support to edit the metadata of artist, album, and track information.
- Custom playlist creation to organize the music the way you like.
- Built-in audio equalizer to adjust the sound quality to your liking.
- Supports third-party audio plugins to provide more control over your music playback.
- Podcasts and audiobooks for diverse listening experience.
Google Play Ratings: 4.3 stars (26.5k reviews)
Now that you’ve read this post till the end, it’s now your turn to try them. Simply choose one of which, or if you’re still confused, we highly recommend you try Lark Player. This Windows Media Player for Android is a free download and offers a series of premium features.
Check it out now!
As of 2023, Windows Media Player is still available as a built-in media player in some versions of Windows OS. However, there is indeed a new media player created by Microsoft, called “Movies & TV”.
On the list we have provided above, some of the best yet free one are Lark Player and VLC. These two players are completely free without no hidden cost.